Wow! What a weekend! The CATS finally beat the Gators!! The Gators had beaten UK 31 times in a row, until Saturday night. Kentucky ended one of college football’s longest losing streaks by upsetting No. 25 Florida 27-16 on Saturday night in the Swamp. Who’s going to be at the game this coming Saturday?!?
Also, can you believe that we are almost finished with the first half of September. It’s crazy how fast time is flying by!
Things to Do in Lexington, Kentucky: The Week of September 10-13, 2018:
Monday, September 10, 2018
- 12pm: Chris Smither on Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour at The Kentucky Theater (music): Chris Smither in concert!
- 3pm: Mission Monday: KY Helping Hands at Blue Stallion Brewing Company (cause): KY Helping Hands is a non-profit connecting all available resources and bringing them together under one platform, to provide comprehensive access and personalized support for those in need, whatever those needs may be. Our current goal? To build a shelter for those living on the street in Kentucky with nowhere else to turn. And we’re asking you to join our team and make a difference by giving $1 and sharing our message. Each Monday, Blue Stallion Brewing donates 10% of taproom sales to Lexington-area non-profits. Each week an organization with a worthy cause gets to educate people on their mission.
- 7pm: Every Monday is Pizza Night at Cru Food and Wine Bar (food): Buy a bottle of wine, and we’ll buy your pizza! Choose from any bottle of wine and any pizza from the menu (Recurring Mondays).
- 7pm: Trivia at The Casual Pint (games): Trivia is now at 7pm instead of 6pm!
- 7pm: You Know Nothing Game of Thrones Trivia at Rock House Brewing (games): Come out and test your knowledge on all the Houses, players, and events of the battle for the iron throne!
- 7pm: The Twisted Cork’s Songwriters in the Round (music): Join us for a listening evening featuring some of Kentucky’s brightest songwriters, including: Grayson Jenkins
Tyler Smith, Sean Whiting, Ray Adams & Whitney Acke, Ryan Allen, Vanessa Davis, Kevin Holm-Hudson, Garrick Howell, and The Mandels.
- 7:30pm: Simpson’s Trivia at Mr. Brew’s Taphouse (games): Come prove your knowledge of this iconic cartoon family and win your next meal at Mr. Brews! Gift cards for best team name and 1st thru 3rd place finishers!
- 8pm: Bluegrass on the Patio at J. Render’s Southern Table & Bar (music): Join us for Bluegrass Music featuring 27 South on the patio (weather permitting) at J. Render’s! (Every Monday until September 24).
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
- 10:30am: Gentle Yoga at Centered (fitness/health): This weekly gentle yoga class with Lauren Higdon integrates restorative yoga, breathing techniques, meditation and wellness tips for all ages and levels of physical condition. Classes may include chair yoga, restorative, yin yoga, tai chi and more. Perfect for beginners as well as experienced yogis! 100% donation based — a $5 minimum donation is suggested. (Every Friday and Tuesday until November 9).
- 2pm: Tea Tuesday at Waveland (food): Looking for something fun, unique and different to do with a friend or a group? Waveland State Historic site is serving tea every Tuesday! Tea is served at 2 p.m. in the mansion on fine china. All teas include a program, savory food, not to mention the delicious tea served by period dressed interpreters. Once you are finished with the tea enjoy a tour of the Waveland Mansion. A unique one-of-a-kind experience! Reservations are required. More details: HERE. (Every Tuesday until December 18).
- 4pm: Fundraising Night at Mellow Mushroom – Downtown (cause): Support the United Nations Association Bluegrass Chapter just by eating dinner! Join us at Mellow Mushroom on South Upper Street from 4-9pm.
- 5pm: East End Fresh Stop Market at The Lyric Theater & Cultural Arts Center (food): The East End of Lexington is delighted to begin its 3rd season as a Fresh Stop Market (Every Tuesday until October 9).
- 5:30pm: Margaritas & Manicures at Walker’s of Lexington (alcohol): Join us at Walker’s! Only $10.00 for a margarita and a manicure! Subsequent margaritas for $5.00 (Every Tuesday until October 30).
- 6pm: Macros and Meal Planning at Wild Thyme (food): Join Chef Allison Davis and Registered Dietitian Amanda Nighbert for a macro and meal prep workshop and learn some valuable tips and tricks to take your health, fitness, and meal prep to the next level.
- 6pm: We Remember! Commemorating 9/11/01 at bd’s Mongolian Grill (cause): Each year the alumni chapter of NPHC of Lexington, KY conducts a fundraiser on 9/11 to commemorate the loss of almost 3,000 lives of women, men and children and over 6,000 injured during those frightening terrorist attacks in our country. Portions of the proceeds are always allocated to an organization that played an integral role in heroic acts during and after this horrific event. This year NPHC of Lexington, KY will be donating portions of the proceeds to the American Red Cross in hopes that they may continue their efforts in making the lives of those in need that much better. A percentage of purchase at Bd’s Mongolian Grill on this evening will go towards raised funds! Please come out and help us commemorate this historical day.
- 6pm: History to Chew On Series (history/outdoors): On the second Tuesday of each month, the Friends of McConnell Springs will present a speaker who will discuss historical figures and events with Kentucky connections. The is a brown bag series. McConnell Springs will supply tables and drinks. Please call to register: (859) 225-4073. September 11th: Exploring Early Furniture of the Kentucky Bluegrass Region and Surrounds (1790-1820). Speaker: Mack Cox.
- 6pm: Totally Tubular Tuesday Ride at Bicycle Face (health/fitness): A fast ride with smooth a pace line. The goal of this ride is to provide an opportunity for all ability levels to improve speed and skill by riding at a high tempo in a tight group. All riders WILL ride together until we get out of town and there will be plenty opportunities for regrouping. Beers to follow naturally. (Every Tuesday until November 6 at 6pm).
- 6pm: West Sixth Oktoberfest Tap Night at Drake’s (alcohol): $15 in a 32oz souvenir stein with $8 refills.
- 6:30pm: Free Yoga at The Burl (free/fitness/health): Come get centered with with Christina Morales at The Burl for Happy Hour Yoga.
- 7pm: Trivia at Ethereal Brewing (games): Show off your smarts and enjoy a brew or two with some Trivia at Ethereal! Every Tuesday in September, join us at 7 PM to flex that good, good gray matter AND earn yourself some cash (and bragging rights) in the process.
- 8pm: Tuesday Night Live Team Trivia at The Bear and the Butcher (games): Live team trivia. Prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and best team name. We’re a new restaurant in Chevy Chase that specializes in sausages made from scratch on premises and street food. As well two fully stocked bars with an abundance of locally brewed beer (draft, cans, bottles). (Every Tuesday until November 13).
- 8pm: The Fiery Lexington Downpour at The Green Lantern Bar (music): Live music!
- 8pm: Cherub with Maddy O’Neal at Manchester Music Hall (music): Free Form Tour 2018 with Maddy O’Neal. Tickets available: HERE.
- 8:30pm: Poetry In Motion: America Is… at Creaux (poetry): The Devine Experience Presents: “Poetry In Motion: America Is” featuring poets performing pieces about the current state of the country! OPEN MIC poetry night featuring DJ Johnnie Johnson on the 1’s & 2’s.
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 – Jefferson Street Soiree
- 11:30am: Win’sday Lunch Break in Triangle Park (networking): Take a break from the stressful work week and enjoy some fresh air. Bring your lunch to Triangle Park and take a break from the busy work week. After lunch, play some corn hole, ladder golf, chess or just relax and listen to live music! Who knows, maybe YOU will win a gift card! (Every Wednesday until September 12).
- 11:30am: Feed the Soul at The Lyric Theatre & Cultural Arts Center (music/food): The Lyric Theatre & Cultural Arts Center is pleased to announce the continuation of the Feed the Soul Series. Every Second Wednesday of the month from March to December, you will be able to listen to some tunes and have some lunch to Feed your Soul from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Tickets will be $15 advance and $20 day of the show. Tickets available: HERE.
- 3:30pm: AdultingUK: Eating Well on a Budget at Food Connection (food/class): Learn how to make quick and easy healthy, locally sourced snacks on a college student’s budget in the Student Center Room 231. More details: HERE.
- 3:30pm: Plant Sale at the UK Horticulture Club – Greenhouse #12, 150 Hospital Drive (gardening): The first of our Monthly plant sales! We have 100+ native plants that the members in the horticulture club grew themselves! We also have carnivorous plants (so you can take care of that September house fly problem!) Cash or Venmo accepted.
- 4pm: Farmer’s Market at The Summit at Fritz Farm (food): Lettuce turnip the beet. Join us in partnership with the Lexington Farmers Market for food and fun! Every Wednesday evening from 4 – 7 pm we will host the Lexington Farmer’s Market outside of Honeywood. Support local as you nosh on samples, enjoy live music, and sip & stroll with a craft cocktail or cold brew! (Every Wednesday until September 26).
- 5pm: Ciders and Catan at Pivot Brewing (games): Drop in for a game of Catan on Wednesdays all semester long. Whether you just need to get out of the house or desperately need a study break, this game is the perfect distraction. Be sure to get in plenty of practice, as there will be a winner-take-all tournament in December (Every Wednesday until December 12).
- 5pm: Kendra Gives Back at Kendra Scott – Summit at Fritz Farm (cause): Come join us for a night at Kendra Scott on Wednesday September 12! 20% of proceeds at Kendra Scott will benefit TriDelta AND St. Jude. Enjoy bites and bubbles, and shop for some jewelry while supporting the kids!
- 5:15pm: Farmhouse Bouquet Workshop at Cherry Seed Coffee Roastery (workshop): Get creative and learn the art of flower arranging! ALL materials and a drink are included and you get to go home with a beautiful arrangement in a farm chic mason jar vase. Tickets available: HERE.
- 5:30pm: Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day at O’Neills (food): Sister Cities is celebrating its 16th annual Edward T. Houlihan Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day Fundraiser. The event will take place at O’Neill’s Irish Pub. Guests can expect McTeggart Irish Dancers, Liam’s Fancy Irish Music, a silent auction, and Irish stew and brown bread made by Mary Parlanti. Admission is $10.00 and can be paid at the door. Proceeds will benefit the Lexington Sister Cities student scholarship fund.
- 5:30pm: Shall We Make it Bubbly or Still? at the Hunt Morgan House (alcohol): Fun to know that punch came from the Sanskrit word for “five”, because it was originally a concoction of five ingredients: alcohol, sugar, lemon, water, and tea or spices . Fun to know punch was invented by sailors employed by the British East India Company, that there’s actually a National Punch Day, that it happens this month, and that it inspired this particular party. Even more fun to sample a plethora of punches, alcoholic and not, from bowls old and new gathered from owners across Lexington. In the immortal words of one Thomas Blacklock, “What harm in drinking can there be?/Since punch and life so well agree”. Cheers! Tickets available: HERE.
- 6pm: Jefferson Street Soiree at Jefferson, Short, and Maryland (food): Showcasing Lexington’s thriving culinary scene, the event offers live music, food and spirits in the heart of downtown Lexington.
- 6pm: Whiskey Wednesday with The State of Bourbon at Brier Books (books): Join authors Cameron M. Ludwick and Blair Thomas Hess as they discuss all things bourbon.
- 7pm: Trivia Night at The Barn (games): Join everyone in The Barn for brain busters, tasty treats & epic prizes! Every Wednesday night, get in on the action with trivia! Enjoy food from all your local favorites & drinks from the bar! Prizes will rotate between all the businesses in The Barn & each round of trivia will have one question where one person gets the chance for a swag grab! See y’all Wednesday nights at The Barn! (Every Wednesday until November 14 at 7pm).
- 7pm: Trivia Night at Crust (games): Come join us at this awesome pizza place in a stylish restaurant in Lexington. This show is unique, each Wednesday we will include pizza and cooking questions in a “Crust Culinary Question” section. We are really looking forward to this one! (Every Wednesday until December 19).
- 7pm: Nitro Comedy Tour: Catfish Cooley & Ginger Billy at Comedy Off Broadway (comedy): Bang Productions presents the “NITRO COMEDY TOUR” the craziest comedy show in America. Starring Comedians Catfish Cooley & Ginger Billy featuring Andrew Conn. The show is produced by Darren Knight & John Edmonds Kozma. Comedian Catfish Cooley brings high energy comedy to his southern following with a punch. He’s the happiest redneck SOB you ever did meet! Comedian Ginger Billy: Hello Merica! I’m a hillbilly from the backwoods turned comedian. Catfish Cooley & I are traveling the country on the Nitro Comedy Tour. In addition, I perform as a music artist & workout daily! Tickets available: HERE.
- 7:30pm: The Rocky Horror Picture Show Team Trivia at Lexington Beerworks (games): The Rocky Horror Picture Show at Lexington Beerworks! You don’t want to miss this one! Prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place!
- 8pm: Live Music at Parlay Social (music): Live music! (Every Wednesday until December 19).
- 8pm: Startup Grind LEX Summer Party at The Burl (networking): Startup Grind is hosting our Summer. LEX Networking Party on Wednesday, August 29th from 8pm to 11pm at The Burl! This will be a night full of networking, music, drinks, food, and new friends. CALLING ALL ENTREPRENEURS, CREATIVES & TECHIES. Join us for a celebration as we launch the Lexington Startup Grind Chapter! Startup Grind a global community designed to educate, inspire, and connect entrepreneurs active in 400+ cities worldwide. Tickets available: HERE (Also, on September 14 at 6pm).
- 8pm: Pub Trivia at Hop Cat (games): Join us Wednesdays at 8pm for Geeks Who Drink Pub Trivia. Eat, drink and be smart. Grab your friends, and a beer and give your brain a workout. FREE to play! Maybe even win a prize (Every Wednesday until December 26).
- 9pm: Steve’n’Seagulls at The Burl (music): Finnish Bluegrass band Steve’n’Seagulls will be at The Burl on Wednesday, September 12th. Tickets available: HERE.
- 10pm: Pop Up Trivia at Bourbon on Rye (games): Trivia!!
Thursday, September 13, 2018 – Dining Out For Life Fundraiser
- 10am: Dining Out for Life Fundraiser at Various Restaurants – Over 60 Restaurants (cause): 61 partnering restaurants will donate 25% of your check to AVOL and HIV/AIDS services. See participating restaurants: HERE.
- 5pm: Thursday Night Live at Cheapside Park: Get downtown every Thursday! Join thousands of your closest friends for live music, local food and beverage vendors, and the hottest party in town. The event takes place each week at the Fifth Third Bank Pavilion at Cheapside Park. This event is rain or shine! (Every Thursday until October 11).
- 5pm: Cocktail Pairing Dinner with Noodle Nirvana at West Main Crafting (alcohol/food): West Main Crafting Co. is beyond ecstatic to announce our next Guest Chef dinner! On Thursday, September 13, we will be hosting Mae Suramek and the incredible people at Noodle Nirvana in Berea, KY, for a one night only cocktail pairing dinner. And in addition to being excited, we are proud to work with Noodle Nirvana—a business and a group of people that are making a difference in their community. More details: HERE.
- 5pm: Woodhill Fresh Stop Market at Woodhill Community Center (food): Fresh Stop Markets are “pop up” farm-fresh food markets set up at local churches and community centers in fresh food insecure neighborhoods. The food has been paid for in advance so that farmers don’t face the same degree of risk as they do with a standard farmers’ market. People in the community describe Fresh Stop Markets as welcoming and happy—like a family reunion where all five senses are engaged and there is lots of laughter, food and fun! Fresh Stop Markets are open to everyone and created, led, and sustained by community leaders. (Every Thursday until October 11).
- 6pm: Thursday Trivia at The Summit! (games): Thursday Live Team Trivia at The Barn Door Tap Room inside Whole Foods Market. Join Local Trivia Action for free team trivia with prizes and fun. (Every Thursday until October 4).
- 6pm: Rock House & Broomwagon Bikes & Brews at Rock House Brewing (fitness/health): Our weekly social cycling club with Broomwagon Coffee + Bikes. Go for a ride. Come back and enjoy a pint. (Every Thursday until December 27).
- 6pm: Knob Creek Barrel Pick Experience at Liquor Barn Hamburg (alcohol): Liquor Barn and Knob Creek are offering an exceptional opportunity of being part of the Knob Creek® Single Barrel Experience. This bourbon course will be led by our Senior Director and bourbon expert Brad Williams with Craig Weiter of Jim Beam Distillery. Purchase tickets: HERE.
- 6pm: Rock House & Broomwagon Bikes & Brews at Rock House Brewing (health/fitness): Our weekly social cycling club with Broomwagon Coffee + Bikes. Go for a ride. Come back and enjoy a pint. (Every Thursday until December 27).
- 6pm: Chocolate + Cocktail Pairing with Lussi Brown (food): We’re teaming up with Lussi Brown Coffee Bar to bring you a pairing for the books – a Chocolate + Cocktail Pairing! Join us over at Lussi Brown (114 Church St.) on Thursday, Sept. 13th to taste 3 delicious chocolates paired with 3 amazing cocktails. Tickets are $10 and are available at the link below! Seats are very limited (maximum of 6 people per session), and please note that there are two sessions – the first at 6 p.m., the second at 7! Hope to see y’all there!
- 6:30pm: Thirsty Thursday! Pick Your Project at Board and Brush Lexington (art/crafts/workshop): Come and make a beautiful wooden sign for your home! Pick any sign from our gallery of over 200+ designs and we personalize it with your name, dates, etc. Enjoy a variety of alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages and listen to an incredibly fun playlist while you’re building your boards!
- 6:30pm: Yoga at Ethereal Brewing (fitness/health): Join us every Thursday this month from 6:30 to 7:30 for yoga with Yoginiliv on the patio or in our back room! The yoga is free, but tips are appreciated. (Every Thursday until September 27).
- 6:30pm: Sunflowers (Painting) at Michael’s – Hamburg (art/crafts/class): In this 2-hour beginner class you will master classic painting techniques with step-by-step instructions demonstrated by your certified Grumbacher instructor to create sunny floral painting. Supplies are not included. Class is $15.
- 7pm: Carolyn Finney on Race & the Environment at The Lyric Theatre & Cultural Arts Center (cause): Free admission. Carolyn Finney, Ph.D. is a writer, performer and cultural geographer who is deeply interested in identity, difference, creativity, and resilience. In particular, she explores how issues of difference impacts participation in decision-making processes designed to address environmental issues. Her first book, Black Faces, White Spaces: Reimagining the Relationship of African Americans to the Great Outdoors was released in 2014 (UNC Press). More details: HERE.
- 7pm: Nitro Comedy Tour: Catfish Cooley & Ginger Billy at Comedy Off Broadway (comedy): Bang Productions presents the “NITRO COMEDY TOUR” the craziest comedy show in America. Starring Comedians Catfish Cooley & Ginger Billy featuring Andrew Conn. The show is produced by Darren Knight & John Edmonds Kozma. More information and tickets available: HERE.
- 7pm: Local Author Bobbie Ann Mason at Joseph-Beth Booksellers (literature): This reader collects outstanding examples of Mason’s award-winning work from throughout her writing career and provides a unique look at the development of one of the country’s finest writers. Patchwork contains short stories first published in the New Yorker and other leading periodicals; chapters from Mason’s acclaimed novels, including In Country, An Atomic Romance, and The Girl in the Blue Beret; and riveting excerpts from Mason’s eclectic nonfiction. Some examples of Mason’s recent explorations in flash fiction appear here in print for the first time.
- 7:30pm: Wretch World Premiere at The Kentucky Theater (movie): Join us for the World Premiere of the new ThoughtFly Films horror thriller Wretch! Advanced tickets are available NOW for $10. Tickets available: HERE.
- 7:30pm: American Horror Story Trivia at Bar Louie (games): Watch the premiere of AHS season 8 on 9/12 then JOIN us at Bar Louie for an AHS themed trivia show 9/13 at 7:30p. SPOILER ALERT: there will PROBABLY be at least one question about season 8 so make sure you catch it before trivia!
- 8pm: Thursday Launch Party!- Celebrity Concert & Kick Off Party! at the Lexington Convention Center (party): Come out a kick off this years Scare Fest with a Punk Rock Party!!!! This year we a kicking it off with all of these LIVE BANDS!: NP Presley and The Ghost Of Jesse Garon, The Loaded Nuns, Nuleydedz, and Tattooed Bastards!!
- 8pm: Them Vibes (w/ Seahags & Giant Swing) at The Burl (music): Live music. Tickets available: HERE.
- 9pm: The Funniest Comics East of the Mississippi Contest at The Twisted Cork (comedy): Season 2 of the Funniest Comic East of the Mississippi Contest! This year we are being hosted by The Twisted Cork in Lexington! Each month 20 comics will battle it out for Prizes and 3 spots in the finals! After 4 months, 12 comics will resume there combat until one winner is declared. That winner will receive $500 and an all expanses paid trip to America’s Got Talent casting producer, for a 1 on 1 interview. Last years winner Shawn Reynolds enjoyed his trip and this years winner will too! Spread the word, let everyone know, this year we are getting twisted at the Cork and we are gonna crown a new winner!
- 9pm: Tucker Riggleman / Trout Mouth at Best Friend Bar (music): Live music!
Have a good week, and be sure to share this post, so the word can get out about what’s going in Lexington this week!